Thursday, September 2, 2010

Is There A Place For Autism?



My 7 year old son was diagnosed with PDD at 2 ½ and moderate autism at 5 ½. Since he was 3 he has been in special needs classes. This year he started 2nd and we have decided to put him in regular classes. He needs to be around children of his age for the social skills he lacks. He also needs a challenge, he is very smart and wizs right through the work given in special education. Well day 4 and I was getting a call from the teacher that Tanner was not listening. So I go down to the school and pick him up, the whole time thinking what kind of year I was in for. If I have to pick him up every time he has a bad day then what will he learn?! So I went and talk with the vise principle about placing him back in special education classes. I was heart broke and told him I did not really want to give up that easy. He called the teacher from last year and the special ed teacher for 2nd grade in and after an hour of talking we come up with a plan that I hope works. Tanner will remain in his regular class being pulled out for his therapies. If he has a bad day and is a distraction to the class his teacher is to call the special ed teacher. She will come get him and his work and take him back to her class. Once he is calmed down or the problem is solved he will return to his regular class. I pray this works! I some time wonder “is there a place for Tanner”. He such a sweet, loving, smart, kind little boy. I have a song for him…I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack. “In the song there is a part that says I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean.” I have this picture of him looking out in the ocean and it fits so nice with how I look at Tanner.




1 comment:

  1. There's a place for our children in this world Amy, they really are gifts from God. Just remember that the Bible says "A child shall lead them", but it doesn't say if its a child in chronological years, or one of Gods special souls who can be child-like. There is a purpose for these children, even if as parents we can't see the big picture right now, its sill there. Try to remember that there are ignorant people out there, most do not mean any harm, its just that, unless you live it, you really can't understand it. God gave Nick to me as my first biological child, so to me he was always "normal", and at times I still can't understand why people say that he's different.

    ReplyDelete